How to tell if your timber has rot (and how to treat it)
Don’t neglect your timber. If you suspect you have a rot problem, you need to get to the bottom of it before things get worse – and actually, the solution may be more straightforward than you think.
In this handy article, we’ll cover how to tell if your timber is rotting and what you can do about it.
The difference between dry rot and wet rot
There are many types of rot but the two most common types that we encounter are wet rot and dry rot. While they are both types of fungal decay, there are some distinguishing differences between them which are important to be aware of in order to make a correct diagnosis, as the required treatment can differ greatly.
Signs that timber has rot
Use this handy checklist to see if you are experiencing a potential case of timber rot. The floorboards feel springy and spongy underfoot
– The wood may have become weak or crumbly
– The timbers may have changed colour
– You’re noticing splitting or cracking of the wood, especially along the grain or in sometimes evidence of “cuboidal” or cube shaped cracking
– In very obvious cases, you may be able to see the fungus itself or at least notice discoloration of the wood, either orange, greying, dark black, or white.
– Musty or damp smells have appeared
– Any paint coatings can start to appear cracked or damaged
Still not sure?
If you’re still on the fence about whether wood rot is an issue for you, it’s vital you get a professional opinion. The untrained eye can only see so much, and if you miss key warning signs, or if the rot is too subtle to pick up on, then the problem will only be left to get worse. This may then develop into a much bigger and more costly issue further down the line – which is why it’s always best to get an expert, such as Avant Garde Damp Solutions, to come out and take a look, saving you hassle and worry.
How to treat timber rot
Every single case of timber rot is unique – and therefore every treatment plan will be different, too.
– Most treatments will begin with a home survey to establish the key facts. Here at Avant Garde Damp Solutions, we diagnose and treat on a case-by-case basis depending on the full extent and severity of the problem, where the timber is located, the type of rot that is attacking the timbers and how long the issue has been going on for.
– Once we have established the above, we design bespoke solutions that will get to the root of the problem and restore timber health quickly and conveniently. Prescriptions will vary, but may consist of treatment with a fungicide, replacing damaged wood, installing physical barriers, identifying and removing the source of dampness.
– Throughout the whole process, our works manager and company owner will be there to give guidance, support and advice, keeping you informed every step of the way for total transparency.
Do you suspect timber rot? Avant Garde Damp Solutions have been caring for properties since 2003, and are your reliable local experts. We’re one of the most established damp proofing companies for London and the Home Counties, delivering affordable and tailored solutions across the area. Simply get in touch for some professional advice.